Sailer on Belichick 2017

k.d.

Sailer on Belichick 2017

Post by k.d. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Here’s something I wrote for last year’s Super Bowl that is still relevant for this year’s Super Bowl:

Why Does Bill Belichick Play So Many Whites and Nobody Else Does?
STEVE SAILER • FEBRUARY 6, 2017

They used to say in corporate America that nobody ever got fired for buying IBM, and in the NFL nobody gets fired for putting black players at the majority of positions. On average, black players are somewhat better than white players, so a general manager / coach has to worry about looking bad if he signs or starts white players.

For example, [New England Patriots coach Bill] Belichick, like everybody else, always starts blacks at cornerback, the position most demanding of full-body athleticism. As far as I can tell, since Jason Sehorn retired after the 2003 season, no whites have started at cornerback in the NFL. (Belichick has occasionally used the highly athletic [receiver Julian] Edelman [injured this season] as a substitute cornerback.)

But Belichick isn’t worried about being fired, so he can consistently exploit the NFL’s modest race bias against whites to find undervalued players. Edelman was a 7th round draft pick,

[Danny] Amendola went undrafted despite having similar college statistics at Texas Tech as Wes Welker had a few years before. (Amendola had 204 receptions for Tech versus Welker having 259 for Tech.) Welker, who had been undrafted out of college, had led the NFL in receptions for three seasons under Belichick. So when Welker got a good contract offer from Denver, Belichick replaced Welker with Amendola.

This stuff isn’t real complicated.

[Chris] Hogan was undrafted as well. Although that’s understandable because Hogan concentrated on lacrosse in college, playing only one year of football. Of course, it’s not a coincidence that Belichick was an old lacrosse player.

Some of this is luck, of course. For example, the Patriots didn’t pick even [all-time great tight end Rob] Gronkowski until the 2010 second round, taking Pro Bowl black defensive back Devin McCourty in the first round. (Gronkowski missed his final year of college ball with an injury so he was more of a risk when the draft came around.)

And if you read Belichick’s comments in 2000 after his now famous pick of Tom Brady in the sixth round, you can tell he had no idea he just picked the most valuable player in the history of the NFL. (If he’d had a clue he’d have picked him earlier rather than risk losing him.) Belichick just thought Brady looked a little more promising than the other long shots still available in the sixth round.

One possibility is that Belichick figures that white guys take a year or two longer to mature, so he can pick up guys later and use them during their mid-to-late 20s prime. For example, Belichick got three productive seasons out of Danny Woodhead, a rare white running back, from age 25 through 27.

The really interesting thing is that everybody more or less recognizes that Belichick has repeatedly made use of overlooked white players, but nobody ever says they’re going to imitate the most successful NFL coach since Lombardi.

It’s another example of my observation that if you aren’t allowed to talk about something, it’s hard to remember to do it. Our society talks constantly about not overlooking blacks, but it almost never talks about not overlooking whites. So, only the smartest guy in the NFL remembers to not overlook whites.

Belichick has to make smarter decisions than everybody else because he has been so successful for so long that back through the 2002 draft, his highest draft picks have been a 10, a 13, and a 17.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Re: Sailer on Belichick 2017

Post by j.p. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:00 pm

I agree that there are not many coaches as smart as Belichick. But I think the desire to win and make money transcends any need to make any racial/political statement.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:57 pm

There was nothing political or racist about this piece. It is merely pointing out that coach is willing to use any asset available to him, regardless. His record speaks for itself.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:25 am

k.d. wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:57 pm
There was nothing political or racist about this piece. It is merely pointing out that coach is willing to use any asset available to him, regardless. His record speaks for itself.
The piece had nothing to do with football. Belichick decisions have nothing to do with race.

Other than the author's and his employer's obsession with racial issues, I don't think anything was racist about this piece.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 am

Belichick decisions have nothing to do with race.
I suppose in a sense it does. In the sense that race doesn't matter to him - it's the player not the race.
From the article:
But Belichick isn’t worried about being fired, so he can consistently exploit the NFL’s modest race bias against whites
Have you ever noticed that generally the position of quarterback is a white guy? Is that racist?

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 am

The only bias in high stakes pro sports is the bias to make shitloads of money, period.

I don't understand what would be racist about there being more white guys playing quarterback ???