Joy Reid Still Has A Job

News and Info regarding the phorum
k.d.

Re: Joy Reid Still Has A Job

#21 Post by k.d. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Stockholders are not the market and neither is one broadcast channel.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#22 Post by j.p. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 pm

k.d. wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 pm
Stockholders are not the market and neither is one broadcast channel.
Huh ? They are the supplier of the product that is demanded by consumers. It is precisely the market.

Maybe it's the Canadian Club ?

k.d.

#23 Post by k.d. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:17 pm

Remind me never to be an investor/stockholder in any of your companies. I am not going to be a supplier of your products.
For example, my buddy is a stockholder in Harley-Davidson and he doesn't even have his own Harley and certainly isn't a supplier of that product.
The market is business between producers and consumers, not investors and consumers. I've had no investor or stockholders in any of my businesses but I've had consumers of my products (a market). Mises has free economic courses online. You might wanna check them out.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#24 Post by j.p. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 am

k.d. wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:17 pm
Remind me never to be an investor/stockholder in any of your companies. I am not going to be a supplier of your products.
For example, my buddy is a stockholder in Harley-Davidson and he doesn't even have his own Harley and certainly isn't a supplier of that product.
The market is business between producers and consumers, not investors and consumers. I've had no investor or stockholders in any of my businesses but I've had consumers of my products (a market). Mises has free economic courses online. You might wanna check them out.
I've had enough coursework in Econ, not that it is much useful. But enough to know that a common stock certificate signifies a prorata share of ownership. If the owner is not the producer, who is ?

k.d.

#25 Post by k.d. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 am

If the owner is not the producer, who is ?
Labor/wage earners.
You can't seriously believe that ABC stockholders produced the Roseanne Show. You must realize that those now unemployed actors, stage hands, set designers, directors, etc., were the producers of that product.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#26 Post by j.p. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:31 am

k.d. wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 am
If the owner is not the producer, who is ?
Labor/wage earners.
You can't seriously believe that ABC stockholders produced the Roseanne Show. You must realize that those now unemployed actors, stage hands, set designers, directors, etc., were the producers of that product.

I wasn't using the word "producer" in the technical sense. Pretty sure you knew that, but my bad nonetheless. I walked myself into it. I should have known better.

But, it is nice to know that you deferred the ultimate decision making for your business to one of your employees. Up to and including how much money you as the owner should make. And without any repercussion if they wilfully made a bad decision and cost you money.

k.d.

#27 Post by k.d. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 am

You certainly are confused. The market will determine how much profit you make, not your laborers.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#28 Post by j.p. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm

k.d. wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 am
You certainly are confused. The market will determine how much profit you make, not your laborers.
My attempts at sarcasm are not what they used to be.

But I think you are coming around.

If the market determines the profits. And the profits aren't what the owner(s) think they should be. Then don't you think the owner(s) would tweak the product to make it more profitable ? If you agree with that, then the market does ultimately decide the product it gets. Econ 101.

If the market reacts negatively to the Roseanne cancellation. You can bet your ass the ABC employee would think twice before doing something like that again. "RIC" or not. The notion that this employee is not accountable to those who write her paycheck is preposterous.

k.d.

#29 Post by k.d. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Hopefully, for the last time, the market did not get to decide if Roseanne was canceled or not, it was a black woman who decided.
Either I missed that last paragraph you wrote or you edited it after I responded. In answer to that, If the market decided that they wanted Roseanne to continue, Roseanne would have the option of going to any other network who wanted her and ABC would be screwed. Either way, Joy Reid still has a job which is what this thread was about in the first place.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#30 Post by j.p. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm

This seems hopeless.
So you don't think potential impact on market share (viewers) had any bearing what-so-ever on the decision to fire Barr or not to fire Reid ?