Christian libertarian?

Local issues
k.d.

Re: Christian libertarian?

#11 Post by k.d. » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks for the response. Now I know you don't practice turning the other cheek. That clears that up. However, I find it inconceivable that as your neighbor is robbing you in the middle of the night, you wake up and start beating the thief with a baseball bat that you are loving him. Do you understand why I don't get it?
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

b.w. richardson

#12 Post by b.w. richardson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:14 pm

k.d. wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm
Thanks for the response. Now I know you don't practice turning the other cheek. That clears that up. However, I find it inconceivable that as your neighbor is robbing you in the middle of the night, you wake up and start beating the thief with a baseball bat that you are loving him. Do you understand why I don't get it?
Yep, I understand. Maybe I'd say I respect his life and so I beat him within an inch of his life but I don't kill him, unless it's the only way to keep him from killing me. That may be not much love to muster, but it's better than hating the SOB. Hate drains too much energy,

k.d.

#13 Post by k.d. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:37 pm

It seems to me that loving everyone would cause more drainage than the occasional hating hate. Personally, I find righteous indignation energizing and motivating. Not so much with a perfunctory pledge of Universal love.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr