Christian libertarian?

Local issues
k.d.

Christian libertarian?

Post by k.d. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm not sure how "turning the other cheek" and defending property rights can both be practiced at the same time by the same person. Can a person be an optimistic pessimist or a pessimistic optimist at the same time?
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Re: Christian libertarian?

Post by j.p. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Sure you can. Libertarian, Christian, optimistic pessimist, pessimistic optimist all only mean what you want them to. None of these types of people literally exist absolutely. It's all to a degree.

As far as a Christian libertarian... To be a Christian all you have to do is basically believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, you don't have to believe in all the other shit in the Bible. So yes you can also be a libertarian.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am

You do realize that neither of these philosophies are in your wheelhouse.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 am

k.d. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 am
You do realize that neither of these philosophies are in your wheelhouse.
I'm as much of an expert on both as anybody. No brag , just fact. Neither of these subjects are particularly deep. At least not until people start making shit up about them to suit their predispositions.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:15 pm

You are no Murray Rothbard or Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. But I was hoping to get some input from a member here who somewhat fits the profile. Obviously, that member is not you.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 pm

k.d. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:15 pm
You are no Murray Rothbard or Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. But I was hoping to get some input from a member here who somewhat fits the profile. Obviously, that member is not you.
You were looking for some affirmation. I should have known.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 pm

You just can't help yourself, I guess. You turn 'input' into 'affirmation' just like you turned 'joyful children' into 'screaming kids' in a different post. Is it any wonder that normal, common sense people think you liberals are insane.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Maybe you should tell us what a Christian is.

How many Christians do you know, aside from Matthew, who would "turn the other cheek" instead of defending their property rights ? None right ? I don't know any either.

Maybe you might want to consider that the premise of your original post (as written) was ridiculous.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Again, I was looking for input from the person I was addressing.

― Ringo Starr

b.w. richardson

Post by b.w. richardson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:47 pm

k.d. wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm
I'm not sure how "turning the other cheek" and defending property rights can both be practiced at the same time by the same person. Can a person be an optimistic pessimist or a pessimistic optimist at the same time?
As possibly the person to whom the question was addressed, the "turn the other cheek" instruction by Jesus comes shortly after he says if your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away, and that if you divorce your wife you cause her to commit adultery. So I choose to take the "other cheek" instruction as literally as I take the eye thing, and I still have two eyes. I don't see a conflict in defending property rights while loving the neighbor who attacks them.