My First Audio Book

Local issues
k.d.

My First Audio Book

Post by k.d. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:02 pm

I bought the actual book I'm listening to earlier this year. I intended to read it, but, as I am now in my grandpa years, it is only a slight exaggeration to say the only written words I can see clear enough to read are on billboards. I won't wear glasses, they ruin your eyes; and mine seem to be doing bad enough on their own.

Enough of that.

The book I am listening to is "Gulag Archipelago". The author is Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. For background on the book or author you can consult Wikipedia.

I am only four hours into the book/You Tube, but one thing is clear, the U.S. is on its way to becoming a later version of the Soviet style justice and prison system. You can see it everyday in newspapers and news reports about happenings throughout the country. The author warns that the beginnings of tyranny and totalitarianism starts with internal passports/papers. We already have that with the Real ID Act. All but 4 states have already complied with the federal government's demand to make your driver's license that internal passport. If you connect the author's own real-life tale with the U.S. current events, it is truly frightening to think of our near future.

Imagine, a government so paranoid of its own people that they want total control and information of each individual that every other citizen is turned into a snitch, including family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, physicians, teachers and everyone you have contact with. A simple unwarranted accusation from anyone will send you to a gulag or exile or death depending on the severity of the accusation.

Imagine a government that confiscates private/personal property through taxes, unending regulations and decrees. Imagine a government that confiscates your gold. (OOPS, our government has already done that in the past.) Imagine a government that confiscates individual farmer's land and in conjunction with a corporation turns all those farms and land into one collective farm whose laborers are those unjustly convicted of crimes they never did, or because they unwittingly knew a person who may or may not have done something against the STATE. Imagine a government that would send out 'wreckers' to pollute that land and sow weeds so that nothing will grow with the sole of intent of causing a man-made famine in which thousands, tens of thousands would die of starvation. Imagine a government that would then lay blame on the laborers from those farms for not producing food and as their punishment would be put to death as enemies of the state. This is just one horror recorded in this book.

I have many hours ahead of me listening to these stories from the "Gulag Archipelago". Isn't it interesting though that, this book is required reading for students in Russia, but not the U.S.

When I finish my listening to this audio book, I intend on sending my physical book to enlighten a person on these policies of the old Soviet Union. The recipient of my book: Bernie Sanders.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr