"Those" libertarians

b.w. richardson

"Those" libertarians

Post by b.w. richardson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 pm

I recently saw a list that someone compiled of the "10 most influential libertarians." I didn't recognize most of the people on the list but was startled to see that many of them support bombing some nations into the stone age, closing the borders, deporting anyone with skin darker than the average Scandinavian, and otherwise wielding the weapon of government force like a big f--ing club.

If this is how libertarianism is defined these days, I guess I need a new word to describe my belief system. I suppose this was inevitable in a world where Republicans abandoned the republic and Democrats abandoned democracy decades ago.

k.d.

Re: "Those" libertarians

Post by k.d. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Must've been a Fake News List.
You and I both know what true libertarian philosophy is and there is no need to worry or care what some list says. If the list doesn't have Murray Rothbard, Ron Paul, Harry Browne, Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods, etc. on it, it is bogus.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Unfortunately the words "libertarian" and "influential" cannot be mentioned in the same sentence. As an elected official it is tough to effect change when you have to say no to everything.

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 am

Too bad we didn't have someone to say NO to standing armies, slavery, global interventionism, government mis-education, government unhealthycare, getting off the gold standard, fiat money printing presses, drug laws, government surveillance and spying on citizens, foreign aid, welfare and the list goes on and on and on. We see where all those Yes's got us.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

b.w. richardson

Post by b.w. richardson » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am

j.p. wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 pm
Unfortunately the words "libertarian" and "influential" cannot be mentioned in the same sentence. As an elected official it is tough to effect change when you have to say no to everything.
Actually the words "libertarian" and "elected official" don't belong in the same sentence. Being libertarian pretty much means eschewing the use of the government hammer.

It doesn't meaning saying no to "everything"; it does mean advocating for private-sector and voluntary solutions to real problems. As a local example, if you give $100 to Paul's Pantry or the federal government to feed the poor, I guarantee that more of your hundred bucks given to the pantry will feed the poor.

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 am

b.w. richardson wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am
j.p. wrote:
Actually the words "libertarian" and "elected official" don't belong in the same sentence. Being libertarian pretty much means eschewing the use of the government hammer.

It doesn't meaning saying no to "everything"; it does mean advocating for private-sector and voluntary solutions to real problems. As a local example, if you give $100 to Paul's Pantry or the federal government to feed the poor, I guarantee that more of your hundred bucks given to the pantry will feed the poor.
I agree that the words "libertarian" and "elected official" don't belong in the same sentence. But for someone to be "influential" they need to appeal somewhat to the masses or at least be heard of by the great "unwashed".

b.w. richardson

Post by b.w. richardson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 am

j.p. wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 am
b.w. richardson wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am
j.p. wrote:

I agree that the words "libertarian" and "elected official" don't belong in the same sentence. But for someone to be "influential" they need to appeal somewhat to the masses or at least be heard of by the great "unwashed".
That's a good point. A libertarian doesn't want to influence "the masses" in part because he doesn't believe in "the masses" in the sense that we're all individuals. But it's more about being left alone than about imposing a view or philosophy on everyone else.