No government marriage licenses in Alabama ?

j.p.

No government marriage licenses in Alabama ?

#1 Post by j.p. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 pm

At first glance this seems like a good idea. At least quit calling it a marriage and call it what it is, a contract. This might help people from blowing their brains out about gay marriage. The cake bakers can also now be allowed to be decent people and serve God at the same time.

Just eliminate the word from all government documents. It sound to good to be true. If you want to be married go to a church, a witch doctor or find a drunken sea captain. Just keep the state out of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01 ... -wars.html

k.d.

Re: No government marriage licenses in Alabama ?

#2 Post by k.d. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am

This is the first time that I can ever recall you suggesting that government isn't the all-wise, all-knowing, omnipotent and benevolent force to rule every facet of individuals' lives.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#3 Post by j.p. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am

k.d. wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am
This is the first time that I can ever recall you suggesting that government isn't the all-wise, all-knowing, omnipotent and benevolent force to rule every facet of individuals' lives.
Doesn't happen often. But in this case I have never wanted the government to tell me who or what I can marry. The regressive sorts , you may know one, have always thought the denial of licenses was/is an approporiate role of the government.

k.d.

#4 Post by k.d. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am

Yet, when a man and a woman go to a gay bakery and demand they make them a cake, you have no problem bringing in the force of government to make sure the rights of the gays are denied.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#5 Post by j.p. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 pm

k.d. wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 am
Yet, when a man and a woman go to a gay bakery and demand they make them a cake, you have no problem bringing in the force of government to make sure the rights of the gays are denied.
Can't say that I have heard anything like that. I don't know why you think I am not against discrimination. I might a self loathing racist against white people as you claim by some of my posts. But I can't recall ever posting about being for discrimination in the public square.

k.d.

#6 Post by k.d. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm a bit confused. You said, "not against discrimination". If you are "not against it" you are for it. Is that what you were trying to say?

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#7 Post by j.p. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:33 pm

k.d. wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:45 pm
I'm a bit confused. You said, "not against discrimination". If you are "not against it" you are for it. Is that what you were trying to say?
It was not what I was trying to say.

k.d.

#8 Post by k.d. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Okay, got it, You're for it,it being discrimination. Cool.

― Ringo Starr

b.w. richardson

#9 Post by b.w. richardson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am

Back to the Alabama bill, I had a good conversation with a gay co-worker 20 (!) years ago about why she couldn't get a marriage license, and we came to the same conclusion then: Why do you need a government license to get married anyway? It's just another money grab. Marriage being a sacred institution and all, it's just state interfering with church again.

j.p.

#10 Post by j.p. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 pm

b.w. richardson wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 am
Back to the Alabama bill, I had a good conversation with a gay co-worker 20 (!) years ago about why she couldn't get a marriage license, and we came to the same conclusion then: Why do you need a government license to get married anyway? It's just another money grab. Marriage being a sacred institution and all, it's just state interfering with church again.
Unfortunately, in most places it must be a "marriage" to allow for the myriad of rights and priveleges that traditionally go with a union. These must be legally protected, that's where the state comes in. But the state should have no part in sacred institutions.