Leave it to our last (mostly) honest president...

k.d.

Re: Leave it to our last (mostly) honest president...

#31 Post by k.d. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:47 pm

I would add schools, bars, theaters and streets to your list of weapons.
To be honest, I have never heard of anyone getting murdered by 'a school', 'a bar', 'a theatre' , or 'a street'. They aren't very mobile.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#32 Post by j.p. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm

k.d. wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:47 pm
I would add schools, bars, theaters and streets to your list of weapons.
To be honest, I have never heard of anyone getting murdered by 'a school', 'a bar', 'a theatre' , or 'a street'. They aren't very mobile.
Without them no mass murder would have taken place on those days. Plus a they all have more in common with a car than a car has to an AR 15.

But would could just be honest, or at least original.

k.d.

#33 Post by k.d. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Two things:
1.) One does not need a building to commit mass murder.
2.) A place (school) is not a 'thing' as say, a car or a weapon, hence, no commonality.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#34 Post by j.p. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 am

k.d. wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:34 pm
Two things:
2.) A place (school) is not a 'thing' as say, a car or a weapon, hence, no commonality.
You do get the gist of my post. But there is no need to pile on more ridiculous analogies. We have already told the grieving parents and friends of the Parkland victims that we apparently don't care.

On to the next one !

b.w. richardson

#35 Post by b.w. richardson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:14 am

j.p. wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 am
k.d. wrote:
Two things:
You do get the gist of my post. But there is no need to pile on more ridiculous analogies. We have already told the grieving parents and friends of the Parkland victims that we apparently don't care.

On to the next one !
Obviously my attempt to show you how inane your arguments have been failed miserably.

What "we" have said to the grieving parents is, "We care so much that I'm going to change the law so that we can't hurt you." Never mind that we had no inclination to hurt them in the first place.

j.p.

#36 Post by j.p. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:23 am

b.w. richardson wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:14 am
j.p. wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 am
k.d. wrote:
Two things:

On to the next one !
Obviously my attempt to show you how inane your arguments have been failed miserably.

What "we" have said to the grieving parents is, "We care so much that I'm going to change the law so that we can't hurt you." Never mind that we had no inclination to hurt them in the first place.
Yes, you did fail miserably. Equating motor vehicles to AR-15s is a guaranteed non-starter.

I disagree with your second paragraph as well. "We" did effectively have an "inclination" to hurt people by allowing murderers easy access to weapons which the only purpose is to hurt a lot people badly !

k.d.

#37 Post by k.d. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:40 am

Have you ever thought about how many times guns have been used defensively to save lives? How about 2.5 million times a year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... lUBJiem5Q4

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#38 Post by j.p. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

k.d. wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:40 am
Have you ever thought about how many times guns have been used defensively to save lives? How about 2.5 million times a year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... lUBJiem5Q4
Nope. Don't have time to sit for a 15+ minute propaganda video. Summarize if you want. And if you can explain what the hell "2.5 million times a year" means I can respond. If I walk into a bar with a gun in my pants and nobody got shot that night, that means I saved a bar full of lives, right ? That's usually where these bullshit statistics go.

But I digress. This thread was not about guns, Focus man !

If you want to present an argument and document how firing off multiple rounds from an AR 15 by a civilian has saved lives , I will listen. What might further your argument would be to show how an AR 15 would be favorable compared to say a glock or
shotgun, that would be helpful. Let me know if the Tucker Carlson video addresses that and I will watch.

The only argument that I have heard so far is the "slippery slope" argument. I think it is rather weak, but still better than people changing the subject.

k.d.

#39 Post by k.d. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Here's one example of the 2.5 million times a year that a gun saves lives.
The armed civilian who used his assault rifle to stop Sunday’s mass murder of 26 Texas churchgoers has been hailed, rightly, as a hero, but Stephen Willeford is hardly unique. A number of armed American citizens have also used their firearms to stop or limit mass killings.

The former National Rifle Association instructor who lives next door to the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Spring, Texas, grabbed his AR-15-style rifle after hearing the gunfire and went over to investigate. Confronting the shooter, Devin Kelley, Willeford shot him in the leg and torso before Kelley dropped his weapon and fled the scene in his SUV.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/08/te ... ooter.html

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#40 Post by j.p. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:48 pm

k.d. wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:27 pm
Here's one example of the 2.5 million times a year that a gun saves lives.
The armed civilian who used his assault rifle to stop Sunday’s mass murder of 26 Texas churchgoers has been hailed, rightly, as a hero, but Stephen Willeford is hardly unique. A number of armed American citizens have also used their firearms to stop or limit mass killings.

The former National Rifle Association instructor who lives next door to the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Spring, Texas, grabbed his AR-15-style rifle after hearing the gunfire and went over to investigate. Confronting the shooter, Devin Kelley, Willeford shot him in the leg and torso before Kelley dropped his weapon and fled the scene in his SUV.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/08/te ... ooter.html
You still have 2,499,999 more to go. Plus what did the AR 15 do that a pistol couldn't, and more efficently. How many lives did he jeopardize by lugging that rifle over and simply wounding the potential assailant. The 26 lives were hypothetical.