NFL owners give Trump an out

j.p.

NFL owners give Trump an out

#1 Post by j.p. » Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 am

All the owners had to do was simply make the players stand for the anthem. The other sports do. The made up "respect" issue may have gone away and Trump would lose a important tool to fire up the base.

But instead they can stay in them locker room during the anthem, like they always used to. Trump is using that to keep his deplorable base fired up with his not so subtle racist tripe.

k.d.

Re: NFL owners give Trump an out

#2 Post by k.d. » Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Been gone and haven't heard anything about this; just like I have seen no evidence Trump is a racist.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#3 Post by j.p. » Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 am

k.d. wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:37 pm
Been gone and haven't heard anything about this; just like I have seen no evidence Trump is a racist.
It's the base, silly ! I don't think Trump as a private citizen would give a crap about kneeling black folk.

I don't think he is as racist as the base. But he was the perpetuator-in-chief of the birther movement as a private citizen.

k.d.

#4 Post by k.d. » Mon May 28, 2018 8:55 am

What do any of your suspect premises have to do with football? It seems more likely the NFL is trying to do away with unwanted negativity that is affecting its bottom line.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#5 Post by j.p. » Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am

k.d. wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:55 am
What do any of your suspect premises have to do with football? It seems more likely the NFL is trying to do away with unwanted negativity that is affecting its bottom line.
The racism is pretty overt. If the prez was really concerned about disrespect, kneeling black football players would be the least of his worries. Plus, no player that I am aware of has professed any disrespect for the cloth idol or the veterans.

My post was that the NFL action was not good enough for Trump and his bucket.

k.d.

#6 Post by k.d. » Mon May 28, 2018 11:49 am

I love Jim Goad's comment:
NFL OWNERS TO PLAYERS: GET OFF YOUR KNEES, BOY
The idiotic “take a knee” scandal in the NFL was launched in 2016 by a mediocre quarterback named Colin Kaepernick, a mudpuppy ingrate who was the product of miscegenation and apparently had to loudly declare to the world that he’s black because even he has his doubts. It was based on the idea that racist cops are wantonly slaying young black males in the streets because they are jealous of their charm, good looks, and sexual prowess rather than the fact that it is young black males who are statistically far more likely than any other group to be shooting at them.

Last NFL season Donald Trump nuzzled his way a little further into our hearts when he said, “Get that son of a bitch off the field” when referring to the blockheads who knelt during the Star-Spangled Banner with the same sort of defiance that leads several black males to resist arrest or reach for policemen’s guns during routine traffic stops.

Last week the NFL’s owners voted unanimously—with one abstention, from San Francisco, of course—to get those sons o’ bitches up off their knees and to fine any player who doesn’t get the hell up off his perfectly healthy knee and show respect to the National Anthem. In effect, they were telling these young squadrons of overpaid future Alzheimer’s patients that this is their cotton field and that anyone who refuses to placidly pick cotton to the delight of millions will be denied full rations of cornbread and lemonade.

It is truly morning in America again.

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

#7 Post by j.p. » Mon May 28, 2018 12:26 pm

k.d. wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:49 am
I love Jim Goad's comment:
NFL OWNERS TO PLAYERS: GET OFF YOUR KNEES, BOY
The idiotic “take a knee” scandal in the NFL was launched in 2016 by a mediocre quarterback named Colin Kaepernick, a mudpuppy ingrate who was the product of miscegenation and apparently had to loudly declare to the world that he’s black because even he has his doubts. It was based on the idea that racist cops are wantonly slaying young black males in the streets because they are jealous of their charm, good looks, and sexual prowess rather than the fact that it is young black males who are statistically far more likely than any other group to be shooting at them.

Last NFL season Donald Trump nuzzled his way a little further into our hearts when he said, “Get that son of a bitch off the field” when referring to the blockheads who knelt during the Star-Spangled Banner with the same sort of defiance that leads several black males to resist arrest or reach for policemen’s guns during routine traffic stops.

Last week the NFL’s owners voted unanimously—with one abstention, from San Francisco, of course—to get those sons o’ bitches up off their knees and to fine any player who doesn’t get the hell up off his perfectly healthy knee and show respect to the National Anthem. In effect, they were telling these young squadrons of overpaid future Alzheimer’s patients that this is their cotton field and that anyone who refuses to placidly pick cotton to the delight of millions will be denied full rations of cornbread and lemonade.

It is truly morning in America again.
Um, I already know how you feel
And you call it "suspect premises"

k.d.

#8 Post by k.d. » Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm

The way I feel is everyone has got their own 'cottonfields'.

― Ringo Starr