Trump's new toy - The Pardon

j.p.

Trump's new toy - The Pardon

Post by j.p. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 am

He has a chance to do a lot of good and bad with this. A good thing is that he is not cynically waiting until he heads out the door as other presidents have. Hopefully he will go easy on pardoning people for no other reason than that they are cronies.

As we know Trump does not like non-submissive black folk, particularly black football players. But to his credit, he is offering them a "shit or get off the pot" opportunity. Among the reasons for the kneeling protests are the disproportionate incidences of
arrest and incarceration of black people. Trump is asking the black players to provide a list of recommendations for pardon. This seems to be a smart move, I hope he is sincere. It would be very disingenuous for the players to not do this.
What I'm going to do is I'm going to say to them, instead of talk — it's all talk, talk, talk....I am going to ask all of those people to recommend to me — because that's what they're protesting — people that they think were unfairly treated by the justice system," he said. "I'm going to ask them to recommend to me people that were unfairly treated, friends of theirs or people that they know about and I'm going to take a look at those applications."

The president said the athletes have "seen a lot of abuse" and "a lot of unfairness" and that he wants their input on his use of this executive power.
http://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Presi ... 47681.html

k.d.

Re: Trump's new toy - The Pardon

Post by k.d. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am

He should pardon everyone in prison for non-violent crimes that are merely vices.
He is being much more magnanimous with the loud-mouth athletes and stars than I would be.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

j.p.

Post by j.p. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:51 pm

k.d. wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am
He should pardon everyone in prison for non-violent crimes that are merely vices.
He is being much more magnanimous with the loud-mouth athletes and stars than I would be.
I agree that there are better ways to deal with non-violent criminals than prison. I hope he pardons and/or commutes the sentences of many of them. Particularly drug related.

Not sure what you mean by Trump being magnanimous towards black athletes ? He has repeatedly wished ill will on them, including loss of employment, threats of violence, and hurled profanities. What is magnanimous about that ?

What the athlete did was work within the terms of their employment agreement while disrespecting no one. As far as loud-mouthed ? They were silent protests. The few that commented were rather subdued. Did I miss some yelling and screaming somewhere ? By athletes ?

k.d.

Post by k.d. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm

In your own news story he tells the athletes to let him know of friends or others who may have been unjustly prosecuted and imprisoned and he would look into it.
I was referring to LeBron James and Steph Curry from the NBA shooting their mouths off.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr