Unraveling the Obama legacy

b.w. richardson

Unraveling the Obama legacy

Post by b.w. richardson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I've seen the headline "Unraveling the Obama legacy" on a couple of articles lately, one a commentary masquerading as an objective news story and one on an opinion piece. At least the latter was truth in advertising.

What is remarkable is the idea of "unraveling the Obama legacy" as if it was a bad thing. It is a legacy of massive and unnecessary expansion of government intrusion and destruction of individual rights. Of course it was merely a progression from the previous two (at least) administrations, but any attempt to unravel it must certainly be seen as a positive.

j.p.

Re: Unraveling the Obama legacy

Post by j.p. » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 pm

b.w. richardson wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm
I've seen the headline "Unraveling the Obama legacy" on a couple of articles lately, one a commentary masquerading as an objective news story and one on an opinion piece. At least the latter was truth in advertising.

What is remarkable is the idea of "unraveling the Obama legacy" as if it was a bad thing. It is a legacy of massive and unnecessary expansion of government intrusion and destruction of individual rights. Of course it was merely a progression from the previous two (at least) administrations, but any attempt to unravel it must certainly be seen as a positive.
I liked Obama, but I will concede overreach, especially with his so called stimulus. It was sold as temporary. But he certainly did not invent massive expansion of government. I agree with the last sentence, except the massive expansion has progressed since much further back than the last two administrations. For some strange reason Obama gets the vitriol, Obama was a straight up Dem The massive growth in government has been nothing more than tweaked since LBJ invented it. I will disagree with the notion that Obama destroyed individual rights. I think that is imagined.

b.w. richardson

Re: Unraveling the Obama legacy

Post by b.w. richardson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:17 pm

The growth of the collective probably dates back to Wilson, maybe Teddy, and every step toward empowering the collective hurts the individual. I didn't mean to suggest it all began with Obama, which is why I referred to the Clinton and Bush debacles.

And of course Obama didn't destroy the concept of individual rights. The trampling has been in progress for a very long time. The last time I used a commercial jet service was in 1999 or 2000 because I was appalled at the routine unreasonable searches without probable cause. Imagine how I'd react today.

I was just amused by the idea that trying to reverse Obama's overreach is a bad thing. If only we could go back and reverse the invasions of the Patriot Act, the Telecommunications Act of 1996, etc., etc.
j.p. wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 pm

I liked Obama, but I will concede overreach, especially with his so called stimulus. It was sold as temporary. But he certainly did not invent massive expansion of government. I agree with the last sentence, except the massive expansion has progressed since much further back than the last two administrations. For some strange reason Obama gets the vitriol, Obama was a straight up Dem The massive growth in government has been nothing more than tweaked since LBJ invented it. I will disagree with the notion that Obama destroyed individual rights. I think that is imagined.