This is fascinating

b.w. richardson

This is fascinating

#1 Post by b.w. richardson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 am

A blogger with whom I have more than a passing acquaintance posted a review of "Black Panther" that included the observation that the film has a lot to say about nonviolence and the uses of weaponry in a defensive manner versus empire and aggression. He introduced the review with the comment, "This is an important film and not just for the reasons you've heard." In two weeks Facebook says 7 people have been reached.

This morning he posted a more normal blog post about how every one of us is unique. Facebook says it reached 30 people in the first hour.

Could it be that Facebook screens people from seeing opinions that question the military industrial complex? You would think by definition a Marvel movie review would attract more eyes than a philosophical thought.

j.p.

Re: This is fascinating

#2 Post by j.p. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 am

My guess is that Facebook does what most sucessful businesses do. That is to set policies to maximizes profits.

k.d.

#3 Post by k.d. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:15 am

Excuse my ignorance. I know the blog you are referring to, but how is Facebook involved with Wordpress? Or does that blogger have his blog posted on his FB page? And then there is the question: Why would anyone trust FB?
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr

b.w. richardson

#4 Post by b.w. richardson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Yes, I - err, um, he posts links on Facebook to draw readers to the blog. The Facebook algorithms do the rest.

k.d.

#5 Post by k.d. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 pm

My guess about the smaller amount of peepers for the movie is that most people who were going to see the movie had already seen it and didn't need a review. Another factor could be that the movie was overly saturated with reviews before it was released.
“Everything government touches turns to crap.”

― Ringo Starr